Raspberry Glazed Raw Doughnuts
I was craving doughnuts this week, and now that I am eating more raw it was really fun to make my very first raw doughnut. This recipe is vegan, paleo and gluten-free.
These little gems have a delicious raspberry icing that is the perfect shade of Barbie pink, and is just sweet enough without being over the top. What I love about raw vegan desserts is that they tend to have little or no refined sugars and use fruits for natural sweetness. That sounds pretty sweet to me :)
- 12 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup AlmondPro almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup raspberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Coconut flakes, for garnish
- Soak dates in hot water for about 10 minutes to soften. Drain and add to a food processor. Pulse a few times until dates are chopped up.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, coconut flakes, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract and process until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and slowly add maple syrup. Stir we'll to fully combine, this may take a few minutes and some elbow grease!
- Press mixture into the wells of a doughnut pan. If you don’t have a doughnut pan, shape the doughnuts and place them on the parchment-lined tray. This recipe makes about 20 mini doughnuts, or 7 regular doughnuts. Set in the refrigerator while you make the glaze.
- Place the raspberries, vanilla, coconut oil, coconut milk, maple syrup, and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl.
- Gently remove the doughnuts from the pan by tracing the outside of the doughnuts with an offset spatula, and carefully lifting around the edges until they pop out.
- Working one at a time, dip each doughnut in the glaze bowl so one side gets coated with glaze, then place on a parchment-lined tray. Repeat until all the doughnuts are coated.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes and put the doughnuts in the freezer to set the icing. Keep in freezer until ready to eat, as the icing will soften at room temperature.