Sesame Kale and Kraut Bowl
There's no denying my German heritage or my love for sauerkraut. In fact, there are days I'll eat it straight from the jar :) While most people reserve sauerkraut for topping hotdogs, in my house fermented cabbage is more than just a humble condiment.
Sauerkraut is a natural probiotic which promotes gut health and digestion, but it delivers some solid other health benefits too, including a big dose of fiber and a significant amount of vitamins C and K. It also boosts your energy and immune system with iron.
Antioxidant-rich kale and kraut come together in this simple yet nourishing meal that can be made in just 30 minutes. It is the perfect weeknight meal that will have you coming back for more!
- 4 cups chopped raw kale
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 cup prepared sauerkraut
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbs. Braggs or gluten-free tamari sauce
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- sesame seeds
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in a small pot. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered until all water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, heat EVOO in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add kale and sauté until bright green and starting to wilt. Transfer to a bowl.
- Using the same pan, add sauerkraut. Turn down heat to low, cover and allow sauerkraut to warm up. Transfer to bowl with kale and mix together.
- To prepare sauce, add water, Braggs, tahini and ginger to food processor or blender and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Spoon cooked rice into bowl, top with kale and sauerkraut. Pour on tahini sauce to taste. Sprinkle on some toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!