Turmeric Spinach Lentil Dal
This beautiful and flavorful dal, or red lentil soup, is packed full of protein and exotic Indian spices. The spinach adds health-promoting antioxidants and phytochemicals that are sure to keep your belly happy and smiling :)
- ½ cup red lentils, washed and drained well
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ⅓ tsp cumin seeds
- ⅓ tsp nigella seeds
- ⅛ tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- ⅛ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp or more ground turmeric
- ⅓ tsp or more cayenne
- ⅔ tsp salt or more
- 2.5 cups of water
- 1 cup chopped or baby spinach
- Wash the lentils and drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the whole spices in the order, Mix and let them start to pop.
- Add turmeric and cayenne and give it a quick mix. Add the washed and drained lentils, mix and roast for a minute.
- Add water and salt and mix in. Partially cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked to preference.
- Fold in the spinach or baby greens. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Simmer for 2 minutes or so. You can also add in 1 chopped tomatoes at this point.
- Serve as soup or over basmati rice.