Toasted Coconut Ladoo
Sweet toasted coconut balls, a common dish served during Diwali, the big Hindu festival of lights. These delectable treats can be made a variety of ways, so feel free to add nuts or seeds, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, even fresh lemon to experiment with different flavors.
Not only are they a perfect filling dessert, they also make a great snack or breakfast on the go!
- 1.5 cups dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 6 cardamom seeds, ground with mortar and pestle
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- If using dried shredded coconut, pulse the coconut shreds in a blender to make small shred or coarse meal size shreds and set aside. Pulse for a few seconds, 3 to 4 times. Crush cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Dry toast the coconut in a skillet over medium low heat. Toast until most of the coconut is golden. 3 to 5 mins. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add coconut milk/cream and cardamom, cook for 2 mins.
- Add sugar, increase heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 mins, or until the mixture completely absorbs the liquid and does not leak any moisture when squeezed or pressed.
- Cool to room temperature, them shape into balls. Serve!
- Keep covered on the counter for the day and refrigerated for upto a week.