Tomato Jalapeno Soup
There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of soup on a chilly day. 😋 Soup is such a simple yet magical meal. It is one of the easiest ways to add more vegetables to your diet, and is very slimming. 🙌🏻 Soup is filling because it stretches the stomach, and contains so much water that it fills you up with less calories. 🤗🍜💯
Lately I've been craving a good old fashioned tomato 🍅 soup, so today I gave one of my favorite Cat Cora recipes a plant-based makeover 🌿
The result? A perfect creamy tomato 🍅 soup with some jalapeño 🌶 heat 🔥 This soup is sure to warm up your bones as the temperatures start to fall. For extra heartiness and nutrition, add some fresh spinach 🍃 and basmati rice to your bowl 🍚 then ladle the soup over top.
I served it with some of my herbed cashew cream cheese 🧀 and garlic parmesan spirulina flax crackers. Recipe deets below 👇
TOMATO JALAPENO SOUP:
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1 Small Jalapeno Pepper (Stemmed, seeded, and minced)
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 28-ounce can Whole, Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 Quart Vegetable Broth
- ½ Cup Tofutti Sour Cream (Plus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- Heat the water in a large saucepan over medium heat; add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the tomatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk in the tofutti sour cream and the lime juice and turn off the heat.
- Blend the soup until smooth with an immersion blender or a regular blender (if using a regular blender, wait for the soup to cool a bit, then hold the blender lid on with a kitchen towel while you puree).
- Return the soup to the heat on low; don't let the soup boil or it will curdle.
- Serve with an extra dollop of tofutti sour cream and sliced fresh jalapeño pepper.
HERBED CASHEW CREAM CHEESE:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Soak the cashews in water overnight, then drain.
- Add softened cashews to a food processor with 1/4 cup water and process until you start to achieve a creamy consistency. Stop the food processor a few times to scrape down the sides. When the consistency starts to get creamy, add 2 more Tablespoons of water, and the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. The longer you process the cheese, the creamier it will be.
- Store in an airtight container. Will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
GARLIC PARMESAN SPIRULINA CRACKERS:
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp green spirulina
- Remove skins from the onions and add to a food processor. Process until you achieve a wet mushy consistency.
- Add onion to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer batter to dehydrator teflex tray and spread with a spatula until 1/4" thick.
- Dehydrate at 115F for 10 hours, then flip the cracker onto a regular mesh sheet and dry for 3 hours until crispy and edges start to curl up.
- Remove from dehydrator, break into smaller crackers and enjoy with your cashew cream cheese.