Fiesta Breakfast Flats
Tacos are probably my favorite food of all time, and when I was looking in my pantry yesterday for breakfast inspiration I realized that re-inventing the taco for breakfast would be the perfect way to start the day. After all, there is no wrong time for tacos!!
This recipe is very quick to make, it took about 15 minutes and is very filling. You have healthy complex carbohydrates with the brown rice, protein-rich black beans, nutritious greens and healthy omega-3 fatty acids in the avocado. A Breakfast of Champions!
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- ½ cup brown rice, cooked
- ½ cup black beans, cooked
- 1 handful organic fresh spinach
- 1 tsp homemade taco seasoning
- Fiesta Flat taco shells or other taco shells of your choice
- ½ avocado
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet and add the olive oil and jalapeño to the pan to warm.
- Add brown rice, black beans and taco seasoning and cook for a few minutes until warm.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- While the taco filling is cooking, warm the taco shells in the oven for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice and garlic powder.
- Remove the taco shells from the oven, fill with taco filling and top with guacamole.
- Drizzle with Hot Sauce if desired.
The spinach we used in this recipe was organic, and is one of the top 12 fruits and vegetables to buy organic whenever possible, as it is one of the most contaminated vegetables you can buy in the grocery store. This means it is the most heavily sprayed and will contain the highest amounts of pesticide residue when not bought organic.