TOFU RICOTTA STUFFED SHELLS
One of the first recipes I ever made when I first started living on my own was stuffed shells. Pasta shells stuffed with ricotta cheese and smothered in tomato sauce, divine!! It took me a while to find a vegan ricotta cheese, and then in walks tofu, proving yet again how it is the most versatile food in the vegan spectrum!
- 1 box gluten-free large pasta shells
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves, minced
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 (14oz) package extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Drain tofu and press with several paper towels to remove excess moisture. Process in food processor or blender until the texture of ricotta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Heat olive oil in large skillet and cook garlic and onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add basil, parsley and spinach, cooking until wilted.
- Add tofu and nutritional yeast and cook until any excess water is gone.
- Cook pasta shells according to instructions, be careful not to over cook. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Spread one cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of large casserole dish. Add about 2Tbsp of ricotta mixture to each stuffed shell and place shells on top of tomato sauce.
- Cover shells with remaining pasta sauce and sprinkle with shredded vegan cheese (optional). Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Serve with a salad and enjoy!