SMOKY BARBECUE CHILI WITH VEGAN SOUR CREAM
This chili is like a barbecue in a bowl. Smoky, spicy and tangy with a touch of sweetness, you’ll think you just spent a night over the grill, but without the messy clean-up!
Packed with summer vegetables like corn, red pepper and tomato, this is a great chili to freeze and bring back out in those winter months when you need a taste of summer again.
This dish will also promise to steal the spotlight at your next summer potluck…or chili cook-off! Just don’t forget to bring a big bag of blue corn tortilla chips for dipping!
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 6 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked red kidney beans
- 1⅓ cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- Vegan sour cream
- Chopped green onions for garnish, if desired
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the pepper and onion and cook until onion becomes translucent (about 5 minutes). Add in the garlic and cook for another minute or so, until lightly browned.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Add in the beans, frozen corn, and barbecue sauce and mix again. If it looks too thick, add in some more vegetable broth, a bit at a time. Remember it will thicken as it cooks, so you don't want it to be too thick off the bat. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the chili is done, add in your chopped greens and salt. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions.