1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans, cut into small pieces
10 oz mushrooms
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tbsp white wine (optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced
fresh ground black pepper to taste
3/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp walnuts, crushed
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (if desired)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place green beans into boiling water and allow to cook until slightly tender (6 min). Drain and rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- In a pan, sauté mushrooms and garlic with a splash of veg broth.
- Once the mushrooms are tender, add vegetable broth, almond milk and white wine (optional). Cook on low until heated (10 min).
- Transfer half of this mixture into a food processor and purée lightly. Combine the sauce back into the pot and continue to simmer (10 min).
- Mix mixture with green beans in a casserole dish. In a small non-stick pan, sauté onions with a splash of vegetable broth until lightly brown.
- Add onions in a food processor with walnuts and nutritional yeast. Pulse until crumbly.
- Spread this topping mixture evenly over the top of the green beans. Add panko bread crumbs if desired. Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake at 425F until the topping has crisped up (15 min).